Friday 11 November 2022

How I started earning pennies!

Yes! The title is correct. I started my own business and now earn pennies! And every penny pays something.

What led to this initiative?

I retired at the end of February (ill health) and lost two-thirds of my monthly income. So, I needed to find a way to earn more money. At age 57, I’m not keen to educate myself to do things – especially things I’ve never done before. Regardless, I had little choice! 

Was I motivated?

Earning is a product of learning! As a teacher, I did this for more than 30 years. I knew that starting my own business would put me a few (plus/minus a thousand) lessons away from earning money.

My field of expertise

I can teach! I can also write stories and poems. But I don’t have a creative (entrepreneurial) brain to invent or discover or elonmusk my way to great fortunes. Hence, the pennies!

How did I do it?

Phase 1

I created a website! I had an idea and put everything into the website. Of course, it took me more time to delete than create, but I eventually did it! 

Phase 2

Once the website was ready and available, I used social media (okay, more specifically, Facebook) to attract clients. 

The outcome

Within the first month, I made R250. My income increased to R750 by the end of my second month, and in my third month, I made R1550.

I know what you’re thinking! It would be better if each figure had more zeros at the end. I suppose you could look at it from that angle, but I see it more positively. Initially, I had nothing! Three months later, I had more than zero in my pocket. I’m proud of what I have achieved. Going from zero to hero (R1550) in 90 days was a fantastic accomplishment!

What did I experience?

We make choices every day. We can sit back, complain, blame the world for our situation, or get up and find a way to change it! Doing something is better than doing nothing. In my case, the word “try” didn’t exist. It’s a word people use when they: i) expect things to go wrong, ii) plan to fail, and iii) rely on excuses rather than effort. I never once said I would try to make a website, find clients, and earn money! From the word go, there was no option. I was set on making a website, finding clients, and earning money! And none of it was a picnic! The website was a two-month/60-day nightmare, and finding clients was a humbling experience because there are rude people out there. In the end, earning money, even if only pennies, was a well-deserved reward! 

Is there a lesson to be taught?

There’s nothing wrong with working for a living!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Meaning of Life

  The meaning of life is often considered a mystery, and many people go to great lengths to find the meaning of theirs. If you are one of th...