Saturday 3 January 2015

My son

My son was born in Lichtenburg (North West) on the 27th of June, 1997. His name is Colin Steyn. He is my youngest child and I am so proud of him. 2015 is the year he completes his school career – Grade 12. And then he’ll be off to discover his calling.

Whilst pregnant, I used to talk, and read and sing to Colin – just as I had done with my daughter, Jana. When he was born, Jana wanted to hold him all the time. Colin was a peaceful and quiet baby. He was always smiling when awake. He slept a lot, even during his bath time. When I played music, he would fall asleep with a smile on his face. He had eyes for Jana only. He watched her intensely. Every move and sound she made fascinated him. With her help, we broadened his horizons and encouraged a diversity of interests.

He was about 18 months when he was stolen from my shopping trolley in Cape Town. My husband and I were comparing prices and were a few steps away from the trolley in which Colin was sitting. What made it easy for the man to take him was the fact that the trolley was at the start of the shopping aisle. Fortunately, Jana saw the whole incident and told us immediately. My husband ran to the nearest door. Whilst talking to one of the security men, the kidnapper approached the door with my son. Because Colin wasn’t crying, the security man decided not to do anything about it. He kept saying that my son knew the man because he wasn't crying. Since that day, I made Colin raise the roof with his screaming if a stranger just dared to come near him. To this day, I am grateful for Jana’s keen eye in preventing her brother from being kidnapped. It was one of the most traumatic experiences we have had.

Colin is amazing. He is a sensitive person who can read body language and facial expressions, picking up things that go unsaid. He is sensitive to tone of voice, attitudes, and emotions. While this may sound like soft traits, Colin has exceptional inner strength. He is a strong-willed person, motivated to endure many things to achieve his personal goals. 

Colin is a sociable boy with a keen interest in people. He is also very popular. He's not only clever with his thoughts and words but also has a great sense of humour. He’s warm-hearted, humble, and sincere.

I am still learning much about his personality. Because Colin is a teen, it’s difficult for me to always understand him. But this is what I know and truly appreciate about him: 

  1. Colin isn’t easily deceived. As I’ve said, Colin interprets body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, attitudes, and emotions very quickly. He doesn’t like conflict or negativity. 
  2. He is a people person. He doesn’t like being alone and is dependent on honest company and loyal friends. He doesn’t like the limelight, noise, or crowds. So, his groups are small and cozy. 
  3. Colin tends to be shy. He’s humble and kindhearted. He’s loving, always ready with a hug. Most importantly, he's loyal!
  4. Colin will be ruthless when he’s backed into a corner. He doesn’t like people judging him or making efforts to manipulate him into doing things he doesn’t like.  
  5. Being a peace-loving person, he becomes overwhelmed when there is a lot of conflict and tension around him. But, Colin will not do anything that he doesn’t want to do. He’s not a people pleaser. He will stay true to himself. He will be tormented by any conflict that arises from situations where people expect him to do something he refuses to do. He’ll walk away and spend time in isolation rather than do anything he’s against. 
  6. He sings in the school choir. 
  7. Colin is a sport for fun. So, if you wake up on a Saturday and tell him to quickly get dressed for a road trip, he’ll be ready before you are. 
  8. Colin has a great sense of humour and can really make you laugh.  
  9. Even though he likes company, Colin recharges when he’s on his own. He doesn’t recharge in the company of others. So, alone time is important for him. 
  10. Colin loves music. He sings and dances 90% of the time, always ready to share his latest hits with you.   
  11. Colin plays rugby. It’s his passion. He doesn’t care for other types of sport. 
  12. Colin is a homely boy. I know where he is most of the time because he is permanently camping out in the living room or bedroom with a "pack" of teenage boys, playing PS3 or Xbox 360.
Colin is my one and only precious son. I love him so much and I’m so grateful that he is a part of my life. My favourite time with him is when we drive to and from school. (He attends the school where I teach.) We can talk when we’re in the car. It’s the only time that I feel we can share our thoughts without being distracted. 2015 is going to be a difficult year because it is our last year together and I know I am going to miss him so much when he finishes school. My wish for him is the same as my wish for Jana: a life filled with rich blessings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Meaning of Life

  The meaning of life is often considered a mystery, and many people go to great lengths to find the meaning of theirs. If you are one of th...